The AXF was introduced to ArcPad in direct response to users wanting the rules and structure that a relational database provides, in the field. One of the key motivations of using mobile GIS in the first place, is improving data quality. Consequently, successful creation of AXF’s is reliant upon using validated geodatabase layers. Records that do not conform to rules defined in the geodatabase, will not be created in the AXF.
If the AXF’s that you create do not contain the data that you expect:
- Ensure that all records in your geodatabase layers are valid (Enable editing, select all features and click ‘Validate’ on the edit menu)
- Ensure blank values do not appear in columns that have a domain (if NULL is not a valid option in the domain)
For optimum performance in ArcPad, use subtypes and domains in your data to enforce data integrity. ArcPad 7.1 automatically detects and formats the following:
- subtypes and coded value domains as combo boxes
- date fields with a date picker
- range value domains are honoured so no value outside of the defined range can be entered in the field
For more information on defining subtypes and domains refer the ArcGIS Help. Two particularly useful references are:
Validation is an ArcGIS Desktop process, and it is an important step in ensuring the success of your mobile GIS project. For more information refer to the “Validation Rules
” section in ArcGIS Help Online.